OpenSUSE Li-F-E vs. Edubuntu vs. Ubuntu

|

As I noted in my post over on Between the Lines (”Why doesn’t IBM just buy Novell already?”), I’ve been testing OpenSUSE’s Linux for Education Project and Ubuntu 10.04 server beta 1. I have a couple of problems that I was hoping they could solve: 1) a thin client environment that would allow me to redeploy several stacks of colored iMacs; 2) an easy Moodle setup that I could not only use for some pilots but share with colleagues looking to deploy their first LMS; and 3) determine if Ubuntu really should reign among Linux distros in education (and elsewhere).
Why use the early beta of Ubuntu Server? I wanted to evaluate whether it was as cool as the desktop version of 10.04 and I was working in a non-production environment, so why not? Today I did actually leave it behind and began using 9.10 to solve some problems with LTSP and Moodle, by the way, but overall, it’s quite solid for the first beta.

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=3767&tag=content;col1

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails